New kensington pa history. Project MUSE 2019-07-19

New kensington pa history Rating: 9,3/10 1134 reviews

The History of New Kensington, Pennsylvania

new kensington pa history

Indians, who had annoyed the settlers around Fort Pitt during 1778 and 1779 came from Ohio, or from the headwaters of the Allegheny River. Medieval restorers were unfamiliar with the encaustic method and found that the paints they applied to the damaged areas simply sloughed off the image according to the Medieval chronicler Risinius. In 1382 the painting received an injury from invading Tartars. By 1893, the Cold Rolled Steel Company, the Excelsior Flint Glass Works, the Kensington Stove Works, the Kensington Enameling Works and the Sterling White lead Company had all located to New Kensington. The Rorabaugh Block and a now-demolished adjacent block on the south side of Tenth Street had been constructed. A few years later, Prince Ladislaus gave it over to the Latin Rite Hermits of Saint Paul who are still there to this day.

Next

The History of New Kensington, Pennsylvania

new kensington pa history

For further information and verification please refer to the original source of the data. About 15,000 people were attracted. These businesses included a drug store, fish monger, dry goods store, hardware store, meat market, variety store, fancy goods, tailor, clothing, offices, millinery, laundry, jeweler, and grocer. October 1, 1888 The Pittsburgh Reduction Company In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Alcoa founder Charles Martin Hall finds experienced, hard-working visionary backers led by Captain Alfred E. Grote was named part-time parochial vicar.

Next

Author on history of New Kensington mafia will speak on New Kensington campus

new kensington pa history

Early achievements included a railroad station, the 9th Street bridge, a passenger boat that navigated the Allegheny River, a street car line that ran to via the , the Kensington Dispatch newspaper, a fire department, hotel, opera house, and a local chapter of the. The buildings are of either masonry or wood frame construction with flat, shed, front gable or mansard roofs. Lore of Yore: A History of New Kensington, Arnold, and Lower Burrell. Setbacks and streetscapes remain unchanged and the overall scale, massing, feeling and association is that of an early to mid twentieth century industrial community. The first public sale of lots took place on June 10, 1891. The second owner was John W. February 21, 1891, was the date fixed for the election of the first officers.

Next

About the City

new kensington pa history

In the spring many rafts were tied to the landing near Logan's Inn, where the raftmen spent the night, before continuing their trip to Pittsburgh. Today, aluminum windows are just one of many beautiful, durable and energy-saving applications in the building and construction market. Our first annual report noted 63 families, 259 parishioners, 29 baptisms, 8 marriages, 3 deaths and 30 children receiving faith instruction. Aluminum City Terrace, Building 22 In 1941, New Kensington became the site of a modern workers' housing project—named the —designed by and , which set new standards for federal housing design. Their chief leaders at this period were Cornplanter and Guyasuta. Once again, four classrooms were furnished in the church basement. The buildings are constructed in a variety of architectural styles including , Beaux Arts, Egyptian Revival, , , , and Art Deco.

Next

Campus History

new kensington pa history

Some of the other industries that contributed to the expansion were the Excelsior Glass Works which manufactured lamp chimneys; there was the Sterling White Lead Company, Bradley Stove Works, Pennsylvania Tin Plate Company, Hunt Air Brake Works, Cold Rolled Steel Plant, and enameling works, a brewery, Glenn Drilling Company, Chambers Glass Works of Arnold, which became American St. His father was born in Switzerland and emigrated to America before the Revolution. With the opening of the land offices, the flood gates were open for the invasion of the white race into the wilderness and the woods of Western Pennsylvania. Among the contributing resources are 143 buildings including 1 post office, 1 former church, and 1 former office building built especially for the Wear Ever Company, Alcoa's cookware subsidiary. The family held the original charter from the English Government, deeding the land to John Little.

Next

New Kensington Downtown Historic District, New Kensington City, Westmoreland County, New Kensington PA 15068

new kensington pa history

Father Casimir Orlemanski began the grand task of liquidating the parish debt in 1942 and added an addition to the convent. At present, a painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa adorns the altar of the Pope's private chapel at Castel Gondolfo. View the number and percentages of married and divorced residents 15 years and older, including 3,276 families with and without children. These businesses included a drug store, fish monger, dry goods store, hardware store, meat market, variety store, fancy goods, tailor, clothing, offices, millinery, laundry, jeweler and grocer. In the city the population was spread out with 21. Over the years, additional lots were purchased under the guidance of the various clergy.

Next

A History of Organized Crime in New Kensington, PA

new kensington pa history

The first floor has a full length hipped porch with fenestration and an entrance underneath the porch roof. Cumberland County was erected in 1750, and from it Bedford County was constituted March 9, 1771. From 1845 to 1860, the following men were among the most prominent teachers: D. A branch campus of was established in New Kensington in 1958. During one attack the city seemed ready to fall but the people rallied to the painting and the city was saved.

Next

215 Clarendon Ave, New Kensington PA owners history, phone number, price, property info and neighbourghood

new kensington pa history

Archived from on June 11, 2013. New York: Sanborn Map Company, 1915. The numbered avenues run north and south and the numbered streets run east and west. Continental army troops built Fort Crawford, near the mouth of , in 1777. It was the Indian's hunting ground -- forest primeval. The township, from its peculiar position between the Allegheny and Kiskiminetas River, was especially subject to Indian outrages at a time when the remainder of the County was enjoying comparative security. Luke painted it on the top of a cypress wood table which came from the home of the Holy Family.

Next